Slideshow Widget

  •  photo Slideshow-Template-1.png" />
  •  photo Slideshow-Template-3.png" />
  •  photo Slideshow-Template-2.png" />

The Kitchen

Friday, November 04, 2011

I have received so many questions about the play kitchen we built for Hannah's birthday.  I must give the credit to the wonderful Ana White.  If you have not visited her site you need to run over there and check all the amazing plans she has.  I am serious.....run, don't walk!  Ana White Play Kitchen

Danny and I worked on this project together......meaning he did all the cutting and building and I did all the painting and accessorizing.  I am sure he would tell you there was a little direction giving in there as well, but it was more just friendly tips. =) Starting out we pretty much followed the instructions from Ana's site.  The only thing we really wanted to change was the fridge.  I wanted it to be a top and bottom fridge instead of a side by side.  Many people out there in blog-land have built this fridge so if you get stuck or want other ideas just Google play kitchen and you will be amazed.



Our garage pretty much looked like this for about three weeks.  Not because it should take that long, but with both of our work schedules and the kids we had to work when we could.  I would think this should only take a good weekend to do if you had the time to dedicate to it.


We decided to use plexiglass for the oven door so you could see through it, but weren't exactly sure on how we wanted to attach it.  We really didn't want to drill through it and risk the chance of it breaking.  I was thinking about this one morning getting ready and realized that the mirror I was looking into was held on by clips.....hmmm this might work.  So, we went off to the home improvement store and bought ourselves some clear plastic mirror clips.  It worked like a charm. I loved the look of this kitchen and how she used wooden discs from the craft store for burners.  Genius idea! So simple and yet completely changes the look of the stove. 

After deciding on all the little details and hours spent shopping for fabric, it was finally my turn to get in on the action.  Painting, sanding, and then painting some more.....I really do like to paint, but it was REALLY hot outside so it all had to wait until after the kids were in bed.  I made the curtain for in front of the sink by just making layers of ruffles and stitching them onto a heavier looped fabric.  I wanted her to have a matching towel and apron so out came the sewing machine again.  Most of it was not hard....it was just really time consuming because I am not a sewer.  Things that should only take a few minutes take me hours.



This project was so much fun for us to do together.  It was a gift for Hannah, but the two of them play with it all the time.  So worth all the time spent for the great memories it is already creating for those two.

I'm linking up.....don't forget to follow me!

8 Responses to “The Kitchen”

  1. Love it! I'm planning to build my son a kitchen but haven't had the time. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great!!
    Next spring/summer I am planning on making one for my grandchildren. I picked up an entertainment center for free and I think it will work perfectly for the project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great! I don't think we would have the time or skills to do this. Such a wonderful present from you both. I am a new follower from Thrifty Handmade Days. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I have been looking for ideas to build one for my little man- he loves to play in the kitchen while mommy and daddy cook!

    www.sweetcsdesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute!
    Coming from Tatertots & Jello!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I would have LOVED one of these when I was little. I think all your extra little touches make it that much more special. :-) When your little girl grows up she'll look back at this and know just how much she was loved. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is amazing!!!!! What a great mama! Thanks for linking up at the Tatertos and Jello! Kate of www.avery-anderson.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for all the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete